The Old Brooklyn Fire Headquarters at 365 Jay Street was constructed back in 1892 and ceased firefighting operations in the 1970s. The structure was designated a landmark by the Landmarks Preservation Commission in 1966. Through a 2013 financing deal, 365 Jay Street has undergone significant renovations and its 18 units have been preserved as affordable housing for an additional 30 years.
Funding sources included HPD, The New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation, the Brooklyn Borough President’s Office and NYS Senator Velmanette Montgomery. The Community Preservation Corporation (CPC) also contributed towards the financing and the project will receive Federal Historic Tax Credits from National Development Council. Additional funding was provided by LISC NY and Deutsche Bank.